To grow your business you need to find the right tools for the job. Thanks to the wonders of our interconnected world, there’s a lot available to choose from.
One of the easiest tools to use for market research is Google Trends. This is a free tool offered by Google that allows you to see the relative search volume for your businesses related keywords – to see how it’s performing.
You can use this data to see how things are ranking, what’s being discussed and searched for online, and what’s trending in the world right now.
If you’re looking for a simple ways to gain some insight into your business and want data that’s relevant to not just Australia, but the world, Google Trends is a very simple tool to use.
It gives you powerful insights by showing how frequently a specific search term is entered into Google by users around the world. And then compares this to the total search volume.
You can also use it to compare different keywords together when choosing a topic for your website. You can see how specific events or dates might have triggered a spike or decline in keyword search volume.
You can dive deeper into keywords and look at how location affected them, as well as getting other information about categories and what’s trending currently.
If you have an e-commerce store or online business, having this type of information gives you an up-to-date idea of what people are interested in, and how you can integrate this into your products or marketing.
It’s just one of many helpful resources out there, and whether you want to use it for market research, SEO, or something else, it’s got a lot to give.
How to Use For Business
The best way to see what Google Trends is all about is to jump right in and visit the website.
On the front page, you’ll get a good snapshot of what keywords are trending right now and the latest stories and insights that Google has to offer.
If you want something more specific such as keywords and categories, you can filter the results. There are more options you can change that might give you more detailed results, like;
- Categories: (Look at broader categories from a drop-down menu)
- Location: (Defaults to Australia, but you can change the other countries)
- Time: (Display last seven days, but you can choose a specific date range)
- Search Type: (Things like YouTube carousels, images bars, organic searches, and news feeds.)
Market Research Made Easy
One of the ways we use Google Trends is for initial market research on the industry you are looking to get into. Google Trends is a good tool to start your market and competitor research without a lot of cost or effort.
- Consumer demand: Get an idea of what customers are looking for now, that you can deliver yourself. Try comparing search terms with products you sell and see what is more popular. You can look up your competitors to see what their most coveted products are – to see if you can offer them something similar also.
- Product features: Determining what product features customers find important means you can start creating products that have these features. To find this info on Google Trends, look in the specific category that your product falls into and see what people are searching for. You might see specific features or products that are gaining popularity and be able to incorporate this into your own range.
- Competitor brands: To get an idea of what the market is doing, why not look at your biggest competitor to see what the buzz is? If a large brand or company is offering what you want for your business, do a search for them on Google Trends and see what related searches pop up.
- Seasonal Trends: If you sell a specific product, there’s a good chance it could be part of a seasonal trend. This means something that tends to sell better at certain times, whether it’s a holiday or a specific season. Look up keywords related to your industry and look at the trend – to see how it performed over a full year. If you notice spikes and dips within certain months or weeks.
- Seed Keywords: Rather than dishing out for expensive SEO and keyword research tools, you can start out doing the basic with Google Trends by looking for ideas for seed keywords. This means words that are related to a keyword, which you then use in your content to draw more like-minded viewers in. Plug the keyword into Trends and it’ll show you a list of related keywords for free.
- Related Topics: Look wider for ways to bring customers in by using the Related Topics function of Google Trends. Whatever you are selling, put those keywords into the search bar and then scroll down to see the Related Topics. From there, you can figure out appropriate content to put on your website and get some other ideas for trending products that you might not have considered selling.
People Also Asked
If you’re trying to reach more people with your ecommerce store and need some tips, we’ve got the answers to a few commonly asked questions that can give you a push in the right direction.
How Can I Promote My Ecommerce Store?
To get more visitors to your ecommerce store, you can try methods like social media marketing, giveaways and promotions, capturing email subscribers, and integrations with other apps and websites.
The best marketing strategy will depend on your store, so it needs a personalised approach that suits your goals and customers.
How Do You Market for Dropshipping?
If you want to market your business that uses dropshipping services to manufacture and sends its products, you’ll need to market it as any other ecommerce store does.
This includes creating a user-friendly website, offering unique content, quality products, and utilising other marketing tools like emails, social media, and search engine optimisation.
How Do I Choose Keywords?
Having the right keywords in the content of your ecommerce site can lead to more visitors but it takes a specialised approach to find them.
This can be done with keyword research tools, but also by figuring out the searcher’s intent and what people might be looking for when they search for a comparable brand.